- Experience - Silvio Santos, the founder of Blue Line Contractors received his Civil Engineering degree in 1982 and has been a fixture in the Toronto building trades scene ever since. Widely respected for his commitment to excellence Silvio finds the best people to work for Blue Line and then stays with them. Because of this our construction crews are always led by the most qualified and experienced people in the GTA.
- Conduct - Some home addition contractors in Toronto show up on the job site and act as though it’s their personal playground and garbage dump. That’s not the way we do business. Everyone who works for Blue Line treats your property with the utmost respect and conducts themselves in a professional manner at all times. During the construction process there is always someone on site who can answer your questions and address your concerns.
- Quality - Everyone who works with us is taught to sweat the details because that’s where quality resides. We never accept ‘good enough’ or declare something finished until it’s done right. As a result the home addition we build for you will never create or experience foundation problems, have electrical or HVAC problems or experience problems or failure at the point of attachment like poorly built additions will.
- Service - Unlike some home addition contractors in Toronto we don’t ever use high-pressure sales tactics and we don’t forget how to answer the phone after you sign the contract. We provide regular progress reports, respect the schedule and budget and don’t consider a job finished until you’re completely satisfied. It’s this customer-first approach that sets us apart from much of the competition.
There are a lot of home addition contractors in Toronto who profess to the best. Most of these claims must be taken with a grain of salt however, because actually being the best is more than just a marketing term; it’s a way life. To be the best you need to approach everything you do with the same clear minded determination and hard-won expertise. When you do it shows where it counts most: in the work. At Blue Line Contractors we know that when it comes to being the best talk is cheap. Why Blue Line is the Top Choice Among Home Addition Contractors in Toronto At Blue Line Contractors we’re not the best because we say we are, but because our customers say we are. And we wouldn’t have it any other way. Some of the reasons our clients recommend us to their friends, neighbours and business associates include:
As your family grows and changes your needs grow and change as well. Kids who shared a bedroom when they were younger now want their own space. Perhaps you need a home office to accommodate your growing professional responsibilities and everybody would like a bigger kitchen. When contemplating the need for more space your options are basically three: move, build out or build up. In this post we’ll take a look at why building up may be your best bet. Why Second Floor Additions in Toronto Are Often the Best Option Let’s take a quick look at the other options and why they can often be less desirable than building a second floor addition.
- Moving - No one wants to leave a house that otherwise works for them just because it’s getting cramped. Your memories are there, it’s convenient in every way, the neighbors are long-time friends. Uprooting your family just to gain a little more floor space simply doesn’t make sense from a practical or emotional point of view.
- Building Out - Let’s say you’ve decided to stay where you are but when you take a closer look at the property you realize you also love the beautiful yard with the patio and the big oak tree. Building out would require losing the patio or cutting down the tree and neither option appeals to you. Also, because the lot is smallish, there just isn’t room to expand to the side.
- Increased Value - Second floor additions typically produce a 75-80% ROI. That’s in the same range as a major kitchen remodel and vinyl window replacement; both of which are constantly - and rightfully - being promoted as money well spent.
- Ability to Remodel the Ground Floor - Once you’ve relocated the bedrooms to the new second floor you’re free to do what you wish with the ground floor. In essence, adding a second floor allows you to create an entirely new house. It’s like moving without moving.
- Enhanced Social Life - After you’ve remodeled the ground floor to include a larger kitchen and bigger, more open social areas you’ll be free to host those big holiday get togethers the smaller version of your home was never able to accommodate.
There are a lot of reasons why you may want to underpin your foundation. Doing so however is exacting work that requires a contractor with experience and engineering expertise. Picking the wrong underpinning contractor could have disastrous effects for your home; but how can you know you’ve hired the right one? In this post we’ll take you through the process of separating the pros from the posers. Finding Dependable Underpinning Contractors in Toronto There are any number of reasons a homeowner might require the services of an underpinning contractor in Toronto, including:
- Shifting of the ground due to torrential rains or nearby landslide.
- The building of a second floor addition to the home.
- Poor initial construction of the foundation.
- Uneven settling of the house over time.
- Reputation - Without exception you’re going to want a contractor who has performed this intricate process before. The more times the better. This is one instance where references are a must and you’ll need to follow up on the ones you receive. No buts. Also, check with the Better Business Bureau to see if a prospective contractor has a habit of winding up in court, especially with regards to underpinning work.
- Resources - If your prospective contractor is a small company that’s hard pressed for money you may find they bail partway through the project if you refuse to meet their demands for additional cash infusions. Make sure you hire an established company to do the work. One that isn’t existing hand to mouth and has the equipment and plenty of highly trained personnel at their disposal to get the job done right.
- Warning signs - There are some pretty dependable ways to tell if prospective underpinning contractors in Toronto will be trouble down the road, including:
- They offer you a cash discount.
- They want 50% or more up front.
- They bad mouth former customers.
- They expect you to get permits or say they aren’t necessary.
- They delay in providing proof of liability insurance and/or licenses.
While it may not be the most glamorous part of your home, your foundation is arguably the most important. A strong foundation is critical for many reasons, which is why basement underpinning has become one of the most popular home improvement projects. Basement underpinning strengthens the foundation of your home and can prevent major problems from occurring in the future. 5 Questions to Determine if Basement Underpinning is Right For You There are various reasons that people opt for basement underpinning and a basement contractor in your area can help you determine if it’s truly the best choice for your specific situation. However, there are a couple basic questions that you can ask yourself to decide if you are a good candidate for this kind of project.
- Do You Want to Add Value to Your Home? - Basement underpinning can add value to your home in a way that other more superficial home improvements can’t. This project, once completed, can potentially create more living space. Even if you’re not considering moving at the moment, having more living space in your home can make a big difference in the future in terms of your property's value.
- Do You Have a Weak Foundation? - A weak foundation can present a myriad of problems for property owners and one of the best ways to correct this situation is with basement underpinning. Basement underpinning is a cost effective and expeditious alternative to demolition. A basement contractor who can properly underpin your basement can make it safe and fit for habitation again.
- Do You Want to Create a Full Height Basement? - The number one reason many people choose basement underpinning is so that they can create a room that they can actually use like any other room in their house. By lowering the floor, you can create a beautiful basement space to use as you see fit.
- Do You Want to Add Extra Stories? - Whether you’re looking to renovate a residential or commercial building, if you plan to add extra stories, you need to reinforce your foundation. In the event that additional stories are in your construction plan now or in the future, basement underpinning will strengthen the building's foundations and enable it to support the additional weight that the new stories will bring.
- Are You Having Problems Relating to Subsidence? - Over time, the earth around buildings can shift, making old foundations unstable and dangerous. Whether these changes were naturally caused or caused by humans, basement underpinning can protect your foundation from major problems that may occur from shifting soil. A good basement contractor can survey your property and recommend the best course of action.
So you’ve made the decision to commit to a basement improvement project; the hardest part is over. Now, it’s time to find the right basement contractor for the job. With so many options for contractors all vying for your business, this may seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Tips for Choosing the Right Basement Contractor With a little bit of knowledge, choosing the best basement contractor for your project can be made much easier. No matter what your project entails, by following a few tips, you can be assured that the contractor you choose will be the best for you. Our top tips to help you navigate this process successfully include:
- Price - Budget is important for any kind of home improvement, but cheapest is not always the best answer. Cheaper contractors may lack the experience to complete your job successfully. Because they lack experience, they can undercut the pricing of other more accomplished contractors. And a basement contractor that cuts corners or lacks experience definitely isn’t the type of contractor you want to secure the foundation of your home or business. The cheapest contractors will often skimp on materials as well. So, be mindful of exactly what you’re getting for the price.
- Planning - A good basement contractor should be able to explain to you, in detail, their plan for renovation. If they can’t give you a concrete plan of what they’re going to be doing in your home, you may want to look elsewhere. The plan will give you a good idea of whether or not they are prepared to handle any potential hiccups in your project. A good plan should include start and end dates so that you can get on with your life or begin your next home improvement project.
- References -These are probably the most valuable pieces of information you can gather. Try to get references from several people covering a range of different of project types. This will give you a more rounded idea of how the company operates. References are really critical in determining which contractor to choose.
- Service - From the very beginning, your basement contractor should be available and receptive to answer your questions and concerns. If they are vague with details from the start, you can be sure that they will not be able to answer any questions should a problem arise.
- Project - Are you looking for basement underpinning? Second floor addition? Home addition? What type of project does the contractor specialize in? While some contractors may be the best in one area, they may not be as strong in others. So, double-check what types of projects your contractors excel at and what areas they are weaker in.